Thursday, August 14, 2008

An Explanation

I have been away from my blog for the longest duration yet. I owe everybody an explanation. Before I explain, I would like everyone to read a mail that I sent to all my colleagues on the 1st of August 2008:

Hi All,

Today is my last day in Wxyz.

The journey that had started on 15th July 2005 has finally come to an end today. And there couldn’t have been a more apt line describing my feelings and reasons for leaving this company than the quotation in the picture given above.

Wxyz was my first company. I got selected from campus, and here I transformed into an IT professional from an IT student. Although it is not discernible at any given point of time, that change is substantial. I learnt a lot of things here in Wxyz, the primary among them being related to business communication. It will be a lie to pretend that every experience in these three years was sweet. I also had my share of bad experiences, which would probably outnumber the good ones. However, it will also be a lie to say that I am leaving Wxyz because of my bitter experiences. I’ll quote a line from one of my favourite poems, Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson: “I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethro’ gleams that untravell’d world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.” You guessed it right. I am not going away to join another company but I’m going to do Ph.D. in Computer Science from a US University. Computer programming has always been my first love, and although I was safe and secure in this 'harbour' called Wxyz, the open sea beckons me once more.
But the fact that I’m leaving Wxyz need not mean that we lose touch. I have a personal blog at http://sugatabanerji.blogspot.com/. It has fallen into disuse a bit over the last few months, but it will be more regular now and you'll get updates about my life. You can mail me at sugata.banerji@gmail.com and you can see the photographs taken by me at http://picasaweb.google.com/sugata.banerji, http://www.flickr.com/people/20950817@N06 and http://www.flickr.com/people/joyforever.
Thanks & Regards,

Sugata Banerji.


So, for the last couple of months I have been extremely busy in shopping, packing and paperwork. Not that I could not have blogged if I wanted. However, if I blogged, I would have wanted to write about things that I really did not want to make public till the last moment. I can't blog about things that I don't want to write about spontaneously. That would make me an author. I am just a blogger.

The human mind is a strange thing. When I got this job four years ago, my mind was in a strange state... I couldn't concentrate on anything for a few days. The same feeling returned the day when I got my US Visa and I resigned from my job. The preparation for this day had started almost year and a half ago; yet when that day really came, I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, the main news now is, I arrived in the US last night and my head is bursting with a headache and new blog posts. As soon as the former goes away, the latter will be typed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment