Monday, May 09, 2022

Infamy

What I have repeatedly felt while reading poems by Rabindranath Tagore, is that he could express my exact feelings better than me. This is more true now, when I'm raising a child. There are many poems where he describes the parent-child relationship, both from the parent's viewpoint and the child's, and I have translated several of them in the past. This year, my annual translation is another such poem, where the poet defends the actions of his child.


Infamy

                                                ~Rabindranath Tagore



Dear child, why do you have tears?

Who has said bad things to you

Please let me hear.

While writing, your hands and face

With some ink got soiled

Is that why they said, “A dirty child”?

Shame, is that fair?

The full moon is smeared with ink

Call him dirty, I dare! 


Child, your faults are all they see.

I find anything you do

Makes them unhappy.

You go to play and come back

With clothes torn away

Is that why “Wretched boy!” they say?

Shame, how’s that true?

The dawn smiles through torn clouds,

Is he wretched too?


Don’t listen to what people say.

I find your infamy

Growing everyday.

You love sweets

That’s why all of them

Call you greedy and blame?

Shame, what to say. 

All those who love you

Then what are they?


                                                                    (Translated by Sugata Banerji)

5 comments:

  1. কবিতা চয়ন এবং অনুবাদ, দুইই যথারীতি সুন্দর।

    ReplyDelete
  2. ভীষন ভালো লাগলো । আমি গতকাল ই এটার কথা ভেবেছিলাম।

    ReplyDelete
  3. দুর্দান্ত লেখা।

    ReplyDelete