Monday, December 14, 2009

Arrived in HEL

I will not write a full fledged blog post now because (a) I have to conserve battery power on my laptop. The power outlets here are different from ours in the US and (b) I am tired and jet-lagged because instead of sleeping, I was looking outside the plane all night hoping to see the Aurora Borealis. I didn't see the aurora, but I did see the sun rise below ahead of me while there were stars in the blue-black sky above and behind me.

And in case I did not mention before, HEL is the airport code for Helsinki Vantaa international airport where I was supposed to spend 11 hours en route India. Torrential downpours in New York City delayed my flight enough to reduce my waiting time here to 9 hours, but it is still a long time. Tomorrow I reach New Delhi (Or is it later today? I am terribly confused regarding dates already) from where I have to catch another flight to Kolkata.

The outside temperature is -11 degrees Celsius and everything is covered in snow. The inside is nice and warm. I will now try to sleep. My watch tells me it is sleeping time in Newark.

3 comments:

  1. My name is Sandra and I work with Rebtel.com which provides among the lowest rates on international calls.

    Because of course expats need a way to call home (I’m from SF living in Sweden), it would be great to work with "a joyful experience" which I find to be very entertaining.

    Do you think something is possible?

    Look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my email:
    sandra.johnson@rebtel.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sandra: I am an Indian living in NY, and I think I call home at a rate cheaper than the one offered by you. Also, I usually use Skype for calling home and I can do video/voice chats for free that way.

    ReplyDelete